Tropical Cyclones are a seasonally occurring natural hazard that can cause considerable damage to property and potentially threaten lives. The North West cyclone season extends from the beginning of November through to the end of April each year. The SES and Bureau of Meteorology provides information to schools and the community about the potential threat of an approaching cyclone, ensuring sufficient preparations can be made to minimise the impact on our school and to ensure the safety of our students.
These are the school procedures which are to be adopted if a cyclone threatens our area. Feel free to print a copy of our Cyclone Management Plan.
Cyclone Watch / Warning
Children to attend school as normal.
The school will usually remain open. If a Yellow Alert is likely to be declared at some time during the school day the school will not open, children remain at home.
If the school is to close, this information will be broadcast via the following local radio stations. Emergency information is broadcast at approximately ¼ past the hour. The frequency of the updates will depend on the type of cyclone alert. School closure will be broadcast between 6.15am - 7.45am.
- ABC Radio 6KP (frequency 702) - 9183 5011
- Spirit Radio 6KA (frequency 1260) - 9144 4333
The closure advice will be repeated each morning until the decision to re-open the school is made.
School buses may be affected at this stage. Any change to the bus operation will be given on the radio at the above times. PLEASE DO NOT RING THE SCHOOL. All information and updated reports relating to warnings and school closures are ISSUED ON THE RADIO. Please keep yourself informed.
If a Yellow Alert is declared during a school day, the following will occur:
- Yellow Alert before 12.00pm: – students can be picked up immediately from their classroom. The school will close at lunch time. Students will not be sent home until instructions are received from parents.
- Yellow alert after 12.00pm: – students can be picked up immediately from their classroom. The school will close at the usual time. Students will not be sent home until instructions are received from parents.
- Yellow alert after 2.00pm: - If a Yellow Alert is called at or after 2.00pm schools will generally be closed the following day. Please continue to listen to the radio to receive information as to when schools will open.
The above does not preclude immediate closure in extenuating circumstances and if deemed necessary by the Cyclone Committee.
School will remain closed during a Red Alert.
- In the event that a "Red Alert" is announced after 2.00pm, schools will remain closed the following day.
- In the event that a Red Alert is announced after 2.00pm but subsequently cancelled, the Regional Executive Director in consultation with the Cyclone Committee has the discretion to ensure that schools open the following day.
After the Cylcone
If a Red Alert is called after 2.00pm schools will generally be closed the following day to allow for assessment and repair of serious damage. Please continue to listen to the radio to receive information as to when schools will open. Please keep yourself informed via the radio, until all threat from the cyclone has passed.